By David Schmidtz,Jason Brennan
- Offers a succinct but thorough survey of private freedom
- Explores the genuine that means of liberty, drawing philosophical classes approximately liberty from history
- Considers the writings of key historic figures from Socrates and Erasmus to Hobbes, Locke, Marx, and Adam Smith
- Combines philosophical rigor with social medical analysis
- Argues that liberty refers to a variety of similar yet particular rules instead of restricting the idea that to at least one definition
Read or Download A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy) PDF
Best political philosophy books
What are structures? what's society? What occurs to people in a hypermodern international? This e-book is an advent to Niklas Luhmann's social method concept and is the reason particular capabilities like financial system and mass media from a cybernetic viewpoint. Integrating a variety of faculties of idea together with sociology, philosophy and biology Luhmann defined leads to an total research of "world society".
Foreign legislation has lately emerged because the subject-matter of a thrilling new box of philosophical research. The Philosophy of foreign legislation includes 29 state of the art essays by means of major philosophers and overseas attorneys, all released right here in English for the 1st time, that deal with the imperative philosophical questions on foreign legislations.
During this leading edge and significant paintings, Gerald Gaus advances a revised and extra practical account of public cause liberalism, exhibiting how, in the middle of basic war of words approximately values and ethical ideals, we will in attaining an ethical and political order that treats all as unfastened and equivalent ethical individuals.
In addition to supplying a transparent and significant advent to the speculation, this fresh evaluate specializes in the perform of feminism with insurance of activities and activism, bringing the topic to existence for newbies in addition to delivering clean views for complicated scholars. reasons of the most strands to feminism, corresponding to liberalism, sit down along an exploration of a number of ways, similar to radical, anarchist and Marxist feminism, and supply much-needed context opposed to which extra commonplace ancient subject matters can be understood.
- Care Ethics and Political Theory
- Réflexion sur l'accueil et le droit d'asile (Société) (French Edition)
- The Debt of the Living: Ascesis and Capitalism (SUNY series in Contemporary Italian Philosophy)
- Modernism and Charisma (Modernism and...)
Additional info for A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy)
A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy) by David Schmidtz,Jason Brennan